Chances are the laundry room is not your favorite place to hang out. Transform your space with these 8 organizational tips and ingenious storage ideas that will turn your laundry room into a fresh, calm and inviting space.
1. Create a folding station - adding a countertop over front-loading washer and dryer works beautifully. If you are short on space or have top loading machines, you could mount a drop leaf work table using hinges (as shown below).
2. Add baskets and containers - Keep your shelves neat and organized with containers. Sort your supplies by category and use separate containers for each. Add labels to make it easy to quickly grab what you need.
3. Take advantage of wall space - use valuable wall space for drying racks.
If you don't have cabinets, installing few simple shelves will keep supplies within reach.
4. Ironing board storage tricks - Coat hooks are a great solution for storing your ironing board in a small space and keeps it up and off the ground. As a general rule, I prefer to keep everything off the ground to make vacuuming or cleaning the floors less cumbersome. A pull-out ironing board like the one shown below is an awesome space saver. You can find several different models and design on Amazon, The Closet Factory and your local home improvement store.
5. Give it some personality - treat your laundry room like any other room in your house and add family photos, your children's artwork or artwork that inspires you or makes you smile.
6. Sharing the laundry room space - turn your laundry room into a multipurpose space. Use it to store gift wrapping supplies, small household maintenance tools & supplies or a dog washing station to keep muddy paws from tracking through the house.
7. Inspiring small laundry rooms - these laundry rooms pack a lot into a small space. Add an expandable tension rod under your upper cabinets to hang clothes immediately. To gain more room, add shelving, wall storage systems and use containers for an uncluttered, spacious look.
8. Things to store in the laundry room
A laundry room with plenty of storage options will help keep you organized and hopefully keep you two steps ahead of the next load of wash.